1/30/11

The most common reasons why people get rid of their pets



If you are willing to try keeping your pet, there are many things you can do. Lets look at some of the most common reasons why people get rid of their pets, and how to get around them.

 1: I'm moving.
Solution: Bring your pet with! A quick Google search for "pet-friendly housing" will show you many different directories of rental housing that allows pets. Here are just a few that I found: People With Pets, Pets Welcome, My New Place, Pets911, Home With Pets, and Dog House Properties. And pet-friendly housing is not just limited to those sites! Many apartment buildings and complexes will allow pets. You may have to pay an extra security deposit. But in the end, it will be worth it, to keep your pet with you!
Here is something else you should know. If things get really bad and you have no place to live, you still may not have to give up your pet. Pets Of The Homeless is a website that works to help homeless people to keep their pets, or find temporary homes for their pets until they get back on their feet.

 2: I can no longer afford my pets.
Solution: Call your local animal shelter, or food pantry, and ask about pet food banks. They do exist, and are becoming more and more common! You can even make your own dog food, which may be cheaper in the long run. (Its not difficult! Dogs can eat much of the same things we eat!) Your local animal shelter, or your veterinarian, may also be able to tell you about free or low cost vet care for your pets.

3: We're having a baby.
Solution: Pets and children are a great combination! Most pets are perfectly fine around children, although they may be a little confused by the new arrival at first. You should always supervise your pet around young children. When your child is an infant, he probably won't be unsupervised anyways, right? As your child gets older, you will have to teach the child to be gentle with the pets. Do not allow your child to pull your pet's tail, poke him, pick him up, etc. Many people feel that a pet should be obligated to put up with whatever your child deals out. But that is not good for anyone involved! Teaching your child, from a young age, to be calm and nurturing around pets, is a great learning experience for the child. If you have a dog, you may want to do some extra training with him before the baby comes, to teach him not to jump up on you when you're holding the baby, etc. Other measures may include banning the pets from certain areas of the house, hiring someone to come walk your dogs or clean up after your pets when you don't have time to, etc.

 4: My new boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/roommate is allergic to my pet.
Solution: As long as the person's allergy isn't life threatening, there are many things you can do to greatly reduce the allergens on your pet. Keeping your house clean is a giant step. Dust and vacuum frequently, and use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter if possible. You can buy an air filter for your home that sucks the allergens out of the air. A company called AllerPet makes a special liquid that you can wipe your pet down with regularly to get rid of the allergens on him. Sprinkling flax seeds in your pet's food can also reduce the amount of dander he produces. The person may even be willing to take allergy medication! After all, many people have seasonal allergies and take medicine regularly. They don't just get rid of the seasons!

  5: My new boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/roommate doesn't like pets.
Solution: Are you really going to sacrifice your pet on someone else's whim? Are you sure you want to date someone or live with someone who doesn't like pets? That's a pretty big lifestyle change to make for someone else. If you're sure you want to stick with this person, work out a compromise. Maybe your pet can be banned from certain areas of the house, like the bedroom or the kitchen.

 6: I have developed health problems.
Solution: Speak to your veterinarian, neighbors, friends, people at your place of worship, etc. You can probably find some volunteers to help you take care of your pet. Having a pet can be a source of comfort when you are ill. In fact, many studies have shown that people with pets have lower blood pressure, lower heart rates, and are generally more healthy, than those without pets. If your health problems are so severe that you must move into a nursing home, maybe you can find someone willing too foster your pet for you.

  7: I work long hours, and don't have much time to spend with my pet. Its not fair to him.
Solution: While it may seem unfair that your pet has to spend time alone, it is still better than making him take his chances in a shelter! There are simple measures, such as providing stimulating toys for your pets, or leaving the TV on during the day, that can help your pet to feel less lonely. One nice thing you can do is buy your pet a special blanket. Sleep with it in your bed for a few nights before you give it to your pet. It will smell like you, and offer comfort to your pet when you are away from the house! You may also want to consider pet day care, or hiring someone to stop in during the day to play with your pets. Also, spending as little as fifteen minutes before you leave for work, just playing with your pet and spending quality time with him, can make a real difference. You don't have to be a perfect owner and spend tons of time hanging out with your pet. He will love you the way you are... and again, it is better to be alone at your home than to die alone in a shelter.

 8: My pet still isn't house trained.
Solution: If your pet is suddenly having "accidents" around the house when he used to be house trained, there could be a medical reason. You may want to consult your veterinarian. If the house training has just never completely been accomplished, you may have to start over from scratch. For a dog, take him out more frequently and try to get him on a schedule. If you are not home during the day, and your dog is eliminating on the floor or furniture while you are gone, you may want to consider crating him while you are not home. For a cat, switching to a different kind of litter, getting a bigger litter box, or moving the litter box to a different area of the house, can help. Clean up accidents with a mixture of vinegar and water. This mixture gets rid of the scent of urine or poop, so that the pet doesn't feel the need to "mark" that area again.

9: My pet has developed costly health problems.
Solution: Speak to your veterinarian about this. They may be able to guide you to low cost veterinary clinics, veterinary schools that offer low cost treatment, etc. Many veterinary offices now offer payment plans for treatment. They may be able to help you find creative ways of raising money to pay for your pet's treatment, too!

 10: My pet has behavior problems. He bites/scratches/jumps on me, barks too much, etc.
You may want to consider a training class for yourself and your pet. Petco and Petsmart offer fairly inexpensive training classes. It can be a good investment! If you can't afford this, then the library can provide books on dog training, and the Internet can provide websites with tips. Try Googling a specific problem you're having. For instance, search for "teach dog to stop barking." Spending ten or fifteen minutes a day working with your dog, and then consistently rewarding your dog for positive behavior, can make a huge difference.
 Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nicki_Mann

94 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/21/2015

    Superb blog you have here but I was curious if
    you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Bless you!

    my site - Synotrex Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/14/2017

    Hurrah! In the end I got a website from where I know how to truly obtain useful facts regarding my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/23/2018

    I am impressed with this internet site, real
    I am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/24/2018

    Really fantastic information can be found on blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/24/2018

    I am not real wonderful with English but I get hold this rattling easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/24/2018

    I seriously love your site.. Great colors & theme.
    Did you make this web site yourself? Please reply back as
    I'm planning to create my own personal blog and would
    love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the
    theme is named. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/02/2018

    Ahaa, its good discussion on the topic of this post
    here at this weblog, I have read all that, so now
    me also commenting at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/02/2018

    This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent
    job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3/04/2018

    I am impressed with this internet site, very I am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3/09/2018

    Hi, Neat post. There's a problem with your website in web explorer, may check this?
    IE still is the marketplace leader and a large
    section of people will pass over your excellent writing due
    to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3/13/2018

    An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a co-worker who has been doing a little research on this.

    And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that
    I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this....
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time
    to discuss this issue here on your web site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3/15/2018

    I absolutely love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you make this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm looking to create my own personal website and
    would like to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3/15/2018

    This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep
    a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was
    almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job.

    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3/17/2018

    Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers
    and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the
    direction of a good platform.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3/17/2018

    Great article! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this submit upper!
    Come on over and consult with my web site . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3/17/2018

    This is a topic that's near to my heart... Take care!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3/18/2018

    Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear.
    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted
    to say wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3/26/2018

    I don't commonly comment but I gotta say regards for the post on this special one :D.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3/31/2018

    Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. This
    is an extremely smartly written article. I will be sure to
    bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info.
    Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous4/01/2018

    I've been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found
    any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.
    In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you
    did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4/02/2018

    Hiya, I'm really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and net and this is really annoying.
    A good website with interesting content, this is what I need.
    Thank you for keeping this site, I'll be visiting it.

    Do you do newsletters? Can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous4/06/2018

    Some truly superb information, Gladiolus I discovered this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous4/07/2018

    Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this article
    i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous4/10/2018

    I am incessantly thought about this, regards for
    posting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous5/06/2018

    Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is analyzing
    these kinds of things, thus I am going to inform her.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous5/09/2018

    Wonderful, what a blog it is! This blog presents helpful information to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5/10/2018

    I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area
    . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
    Reading this information So i'm happy to exhibit that I have a very just right uncanny feeling
    I discovered just what I needed. I so much indisputably will make sure to do not overlook this
    site and give it a look regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous5/10/2018

    This site truly has all the information I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous5/10/2018

    Right now it sounds like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous5/16/2018

    Hi, just wanted to tell you, I loved this post.
    It was funny. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous5/17/2018

    Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of
    spam remarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or
    anything you can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous5/23/2018

    Genuinely when someone doesn't know then its up
    to other people that they will assist, so here it takes
    place.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous5/23/2018

    I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
    post was good. I don't know who you are but certainly you're going
    to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5/27/2018

    I don't ordinarily comment but I gotta tell thanks for the post
    on this perfect one :D.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous5/28/2018

    Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to
    your new updates.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous5/28/2018

    An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    There's no doubt that that you need to write more about this
    topic, it might not be a taboo matter but generally folks don't discuss such issues.
    To the next! All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous5/29/2018

    I've been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So
    i'm happy to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I most certainly will make sure to don't put out of your mind this website and provides it a look on a constant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous5/30/2018

    Hi every one, here every person is sharing such experience, so it's nice to read this
    blog, and I used to pay a visit this weblog daily.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous5/30/2018

    Hi everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this web site, and article is really fruitful in favor of
    me, keep up posting such articles or reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous6/01/2018

    Highly energetic blog, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous6/01/2018

    I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I'm not certain whether this post is written by him as no one else realize such distinctive about my trouble.
    You're amazing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous6/02/2018

    Amazing things here. I am very happy to see your article.
    Thanks a lot and I am having a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous6/02/2018

    Hi there, after reading this awesome paragraph i am too delighted to
    share my know-how here with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous6/03/2018

    Good day! I could have sworn I've been to your blog before but after
    looking at a few of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Regardless, I'm definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous6/03/2018

    Tica Team Big Game Trolling reels are comparable to Penn or Shimano reels but considerably less expensive.
    Diawa Megaforce - A THS With Twitchin' Bar - AThe Megaforce posesses a groundbreaking Twitchin'
    Bar - A that enables the fisherman to retract of retract as much as seven inches of line or twitch a jig while using touch of your thumb.
    The stand-out thing regarding the Sustain reel, once you get past its quality
    look and strong construction, could be the smoothness of the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous6/03/2018

    Keep up the good piece of work, I read few articles on this internet site and I think that your web blog is rattling interesting and has got lots of wonderful info.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous6/05/2018

    Heya great website! Does running a blog similar to this require a large amount of work?
    I have virtually no understanding of programming but
    I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any suggestions or
    techniques for new blog owners please share.

    I know this is off topic nevertheless I simply
    had to ask. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous6/05/2018

    I get pleasure from, result in I found exactly what I used to be taking
    a look for. You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a great day. Bye

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous6/08/2018

    Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just
    preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library
    but I think I learned more from this post. I'm very glad
    to see such excellent information being shared freely out
    there.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous6/08/2018

    I think other website proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and excellent user friendly style and design,
    let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous6/09/2018

    I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site.

    It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant
    for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create
    your theme? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous6/09/2018

    Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts
    have been kinda boring? I miss your tremendous writings.

    Past several posts are just a little bit out of track!
    come on!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous6/10/2018

    Hurrah, that's what I was seeking for, what a material!
    present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this site.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous6/11/2018

    Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it
    can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous6/12/2018

    For latest news you have to pay a visit world wide web and
    on internet I found this site as a best web
    page for hottest updates.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous6/18/2018

    As soon as I observed this internet site I went
    on reddit to share some of the love with them.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous6/19/2018

    This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous6/19/2018

    Useful information. Fortunate me I found your site
    accidentally, and I'm surprised why this coincidence didn't took place in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous6/25/2018

    I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information.
    This article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to
    bookmark your blog and keep checking for new information about
    once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous6/27/2018

    Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person's
    weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will
    also do same in support of you.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous6/27/2018

    I have been reading out a few of your articles and i can state clever stuff.
    I will surely bookmark your site.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous7/05/2018

    I every time spent my half an hour to read this website's
    content all the time along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anonymous7/06/2018

    Definitely, what a magnificent blog and informative posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.All the Best!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous7/10/2018

    It's going to be finish of mine day, except before finish I am reading this wonderful post to increase my know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous7/16/2018

    Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way,
    how can we communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous7/17/2018

    Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your
    site is great, let alone the content!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous7/18/2018

    However, in this case your fish finder will display images of what's exactly through your boat.

    The focus just for this article is to take a look at three reasons why this specific fish finder is a good selection for you.

    These devices as like many electronic base products are morphing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anonymous7/23/2018

    I every time used to study article in news papers but now
    as I am a user of internet so from now I am using net for content,
    thanks to web.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous7/25/2018

    Peculiar article, totally what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Anonymous8/01/2018

    I've recently started a web site, the info you offer on this site has
    helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time &
    work.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anonymous8/04/2018

    I conceive you have remarked some very interesting points, thank
    you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous8/08/2018

    Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article.
    Thank you for supplying this information.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous8/09/2018

    This text is priceless. When can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anonymous8/13/2018

    What's up, I wish for to subscribe for this weblog to get most recent
    updates, so where can i do it please assist.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Anonymous8/13/2018

    Yeah bookmaking this wasn't a risky decision great post!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Anonymous8/13/2018

    You could definitely see your expertise in the work you write.
    The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as
    you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Anonymous8/28/2018

    I like this site because so much useful material on here :D.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Anonymous9/08/2018

    I really like looking through a post that will make people think.
    Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Anonymous9/08/2018

    Rattling clear website, thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Anonymous9/11/2018

    I'll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Kindly let me realize in order that
    I could subscribe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Anonymous9/23/2018

    Outstanding information once again! Thanks a lot=)

    ReplyDelete
  82. Anonymous9/26/2018

    Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up very fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

    ReplyDelete
  83. Anonymous9/26/2018

    I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site.
    I'm hoping to see the same high-grade content by you
    in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me
    to get my own website now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  84. Anonymous9/28/2018

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I'll be subscribing to your rss feed
    and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  85. Anonymous10/01/2018

    Your means of describing the whole thing in this article is actually nice,
    all be able to effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Anonymous10/02/2018

    Hello, after reading this remarkable post i am
    as well cheerful to share my experience here with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Anonymous10/06/2018

    Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I'm sure they will be benefited from this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Anonymous10/11/2018

    Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this post.
    It was practical. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Anonymous10/13/2018

    It'ѕ a pity you don't havе a donate ƅutton! I'd definitely donate to this outstanding blog!
    I suppоose foor now i'll settle for boօk-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forԝard to new updates annd will tlk aboᥙt
    this site witth my Fɑcebook group. Talk ѕoon!

    ReplyDelete
  90. Anonymous10/15/2018

    Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually realize
    what you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =).
    We may have a hyperlink exchange arrangement between us!

    ReplyDelete
  91. Anonymous10/16/2018

    Right away I am going to do my breakfast, once having my
    breakfast coming again to read other news.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Anonymous10/25/2018

    Howdy! This post couldn't be written any better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept preaching about this. I am going to send this post to him.
    Fairly certain he'll have a great read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Anonymous10/30/2018

    Keep this going please, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Anonymous2/02/2019

    Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a amusement account it.

    Look complex to far brought agreeable from you! By the way,
    how can we keep up a correspondence?

    ReplyDelete